Joining and Re-Joining MAR/C
Thank you for your interest in joining our club! We welcome new members. You may learn more about the club by checking out our About Us as well as our Training and Education page. In general, there are three requirements for flying at our field:
- You will need a full AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership
- You will need a Marymoor RC (MAR/C) club membership
- You will need to agree to the Membership Agreement (Youth members require parental/guardian approval)
- Your model aircraft, helicopter or drone are all considered 'drones' in the eyes of the FAA and will need to be registered with the FAA.
Instructions for all these steps are listed below.
Overview - Read This First:
AMA Membership – JOIN, RENEW, OR EXTEND at: https://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/enroll
You must hold a full AMA Adult, or Junior/Youth membership to join MAR/C. Park Flyer membership and the three-month Trial membership are not sufficient.
You may have to join AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) for two years or extend your current membership by one year before applying to MAR/C.
- Your AMA membership must be valid for all of the full CALENDAR YEAR for which you are applying for MAR/C membership
- The AMA membership year is based on WHEN YOU LAST APPLIED. They changed to this system recently.
- MAR/C membership is issued for one CALENDAR year, from January 1st through December 31st. We do not currently have a way to change to the AMA system.
- Example: If your AMA membership expires during 2022, and you are applying for MAR/C for 2022, you must first extend you AMA membership by a year before applying to MAR/C.
AMA Membership - APPLICATIONS ON OCTOBER 1 OR LATER:
You may renew your AMA membership for the upcoming year as early as October 1.
A NEW MEMBER applying on or after October 1 will receive membership for the following calendar year, which will be recognized at the field as valid for the remainder of the current year as well.
Active Youth members may check in as early as October 1, but must do so before the end of the current year.
MAR/C Membership - JOIN or RENEW
You must LOG IN to the MAR/C website to begin the online membership process. Detailed instructions on the registration process are described below in the MAR/C Registration or Renewal section.
- Current members already have an account set up and simply need to log in
- New members must CREATE AN ACCOUNT and then LOG IN, before they begin the online membership process.
- Lapsed members may still have an account. If you do, you will be able to log in. If you cannot log in, you may have been away for too long and your old account was deleted. In this case you must create a new account, just as if you are a new member.
FAA UAS Registration
You must also register with the Federal Aviation Administration to fly a Recreational Unmanned Aerial System (UAS). This costs $5 for three years.
Go to faaregisterdrone.com
COSTS and PAYMENT
MAR/C Club Cost
Calendar year membership fee is $60 for adults, and free for Junior/Youth (under age of 19 on July 1st of the membership year). This is less than the cost of a couple servos, and less than most any other club you can find, for a beautiful field and welcoming community.
MAR/C membership is issued for one calendar year, from January 1st through December 31st.
AMA Membership Cost
Membership is $75 for adults and $15 for youth. This provides liability insurance and is required under the Special Use Agreement with King County Parks.
FAA UAS Registration
This costs $5 for three years and can be used on multiple aircraft.
Payments Options for MAR/C Membership Fee:
A. PayPal guest - personal PayPal account not required, you will need to provide credit card information
B. Personal PayPal account - PayPal already has your credit card information
C. Personal check (not recommended) - mail check to the Membership Coordinator.
BEFORE YOU FLY – Badge Color and Proficiency Check
- New members and those rejoining more than a year after their last membership will be issued a digital white badge that indicates they are not yet full members, meaning they are not permitted to fly without a buddy-box connection with a full member. The white badge is emailed to you as a PDF, which you can store on your mobile device, or print to store in your wallet whenever you are asked to present it at the field.
- A proficiency check (a demonstration of your flying skills and oral knowledge quiz of the rules administered by a board member or flight instructor) is required for full membership status, after which you will be issued a badge with a unique color for the membership year.
- Reactivating members (both Junior and Adult) who have not been active for the previous 3 years must also have a proficiency check.
- It is the responsibility of the member to contact an examiner to schedule their proficiency check.
- Marking all of your aircraft:
Inside: Your name, AMA number, and contact information
Outside: FAA UAS number
MAR/C Registration or Renewal
New Club Member Registration (Online)
Click on REGISTER and provide the requested information, then click on Create New Account. It can take up to 2 days to verify your AMA membership, then process and create your account. Once processed, you will receive an email containing a link to activate your MAR/C account. Click on the link and follow the instructions. Follow the Membership Annual Fee link on the website to pay for your membership.
Note: Youth applicants require parent/guardian signature of the Membership Agreement.
Current Club Member Renewal (Online)
LOG IN, then click on the Membership Annual Fee link on the home page to renew your membership.
Alternately, you may mail a check to the club Treasurer (request the mailing address from the contact link).
Active Club Youth Member Check In (Online)
All active Youth MAR/C members (under the age of 19 on July 1st of the membership year) are required to check in annually before the end of the calendar year in order to maintain their Active Youth status, which permits them to fly solo. By checking in, the member affirms that he or she has maintained flight proficiency.
Youth members are required to file notice of Active Status with the club in order to be issued an annual membership card for the subsequent year.
If a Youth Member does not check in for a year or more, they must re-apply as a new member and will be issued the (digital) white membership badge that indicates they may not fly without being buddy boxed to a full member until passing a proficiency check.
Expired Club Membership Reactivation
If you let your membership expire, you can reactivate it by paying the current year's membership fee. Your website account is retained for a period of time, and then expires. If expired, you will not be able to log in, and you will need to re-register as a new member (see above).
If you choose to use the paper application process, please obtain a paper Membership form (or ask someone with internet access on your behalf). Print the form, follow the instructions, and contact the Membership Coordinator at email@example.com. Applicants must include a copy of their AMA card.
Application Processing Times
- Please note the Application Processing Times: Online: maximum 10 days Paper: approximately 20 days
- Your full membership (colored) MAR/C badge will be mailed to your registered address via US Mail
Questions about the membership process may be directed to the MAR/C Membership Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org