New members are required to demonstrate their flying proficiency and basic safety knowledge before the can fly "solo" without an instructor. Upon passing, they become "full members".
This takes the form of a quiz and a Proficiency Check Flight with an instructor or board member. The quiz can be taken online as shown in steps 1-3 below, or done orally at the same time as the check flight.
This applies to both new members as well as returning members who haven't been active for at least one year prior to re-joining:
- Study our Flight Training manual.
- Be patient if you are downloading over a slower link.
- If you prefer PowerPoint instead of PDF, link is here.
- Have a look at the the open book MAR/C Proficiency Check Quiz. We no longer use the online quiz. The quiz will now be administered in person by your check pilot after your check flight. Any wrong answers will be discussed and you'll pass as long as the check pilot feels you understand the corrected answers.
- Review the flight criteria on the first page of the Proficiency Check Flight PDF.
- Arrange for a Proficiency Check Flight at the MAR/C field.
- New members should contact a flight instructor to arrange a time for a Proficiency Check Flight: Training Managers and Instructors